Monday, December 6, 2010

Productivity at its Finest

Today was ridiculously busy and eventful. Where to begin? Hmm what does the song say...oh yeah...

Let's start at the very beginning


Work at 8 am. Small children=lots of smiles, hugs, drool, crying, diaper changes, and laughter. Pretty sure Danielle and I saw our future today. And for the most part...we'll be okay with it in about 10 years.

Lunch with Danielle. Realized, once again, that I miss her too much when we aren't doing shows together. Okay granted it's only been a week but that feels like forever when you're used to spending every night and part of the day with someone. And you wonder why I'm having issues moving away form SMC theatre.

Saw AIDA at the SF Opera House. Definitely a learning experience. Not sure opera is my thing but I'm glad I had the opportunity. Got to analyze all the tech elements. I'm such an awful audience member :)

Kicked butt studying for my Foundations of Theatre II final. If he sticks to the study guide material, I'll at LEAST get a B but hopefully an A. If he strays...then I wish myself luck.

Dinner at In N Out with Andrew Danielle and Kathleen

More studying, got back to my room at 10 pm after being away since 8 am

Other updates?
-Got some info about internships at the Lesher Center in Walnut Creek so I'm pursuing that. A little less worry knowing that it is possible to get an internship that is A, close to school, B, hires on a project-by-project basis, and C, potentially pays!
-Updating my webpage with more information and pictures. http://shannongaughf.wordpress.com.
-Finals studying under control for the moment
-It's my mentor's birthday. Enough said. Linda makes my world go round and we all know this.

And in other news

Something I didn't do yesterday but deserves to be acknowledged. 4 years ago I lost my uncle and godfather, Rob, to skin cancer. Although the sting of the loss has generally subsided, it's not something you completely get over. Rob was diagnosed with skin cancer in 2004. He fought his hardest and rarely let the disease get the best of him. Though divorced at the time, he was always surrounded by excellent friends and family who dearly loved him. His pride and joy were his kids. His son, Chris, was away at college but his daughter, Leah, was in high school at the time. In May 2006, it became clear that he could not adequately care for himself and for the first time in his life, my wonderfully stubborn uncle let someone else take care of him and he moved in with my family. The first day he moved in I was nervous...a little scared...a little unsure about what to do. I happened to have gotten an A on my first term paper that day and I told him about it...it was a small gesture but just a way to break the ice. 2006 was an important year. I turned 16. Rob got me a card that told me I would be a great driver, though he knew I was afraid to get my license. And he was there when I got home that day in November when I actually got my license. Tanner was going through a disgruntled phase and although he didn't talk much to us, he was forced to interact on a daily basis with Rob as the computer was in the guest room and that's where Rob lived. Tanner, as well as the rest of us, got the impact of having another strong male presence in the house. With 3 adults around it could be slightly intimidating for us as kids but I learned so much. I wish I could say that I "grew up" while he lived with us and I suddenly became a much stronger person but honestly, that was when I was at my weakest. Socially and academically I was struggling to find myself and establish a balance in my life. And at home I had the worries surrounding me every day. In June, my parents took Tanner to Arizona for a Diamondback's baseball game for his birthday leaving me at home alone with Rob. Even though I was 15, my parents felt comfortable with this situation and my aunt would frequently be checking in during the day and staying with us at night. But the first day my parents were gone, Rob suddenly took a turn for the worst. I have never been more grateful to see my aunt, who serendipitously showed up right when I felt too overwhelmed to handle the situation. Rob went into the hospital that night but, strong as ever, he fought and came out on top. As the months progressed his conditioned altered between pretty good and fairly poor. There were days I forgot he was sick and there were nights that I lay awake as his coughing in the next room haunted my dreams. I didn't talk about it much with my friends...I wasn't doing so well in that area and wasn't in any position to add more drama to a disparaging situation. As the semester came to a close, I began to prepare for finals and focus on my Christmas plans. Sunday December 3...I was scheduled to watch Dead Man Walking at school for a religion class assignment. I had recently gotten my license and that day my actual license arrived in the mail. My dad was letting me drive his car to school, a first for me. Before I left, I knew that Rob wasn't doing well but my parents attempted to shield me from the situation. As I sat in the Hills common room watching the movie, I had a sinking feeling something was desperately wrong. I returned home to discover that Rob had been admitted to the hospital again. As this was a recurring incident, none of us thought much of it. We had almost lost him so many times that this didn't seem to be any different. The next morning I woke up, put on my uniform, and went out to the kitchen as I did every morning. My dad was already there with Tanner. It was then that he told us, very matter of fact and very somberly, that Rob had passed away early that morning. I numbly went to school, trying to hold back tears at breakfast. When someone asked, I explained the reason for the emotions but didn't elaborate. By lunch I was ready to go home. I called my dad and as I sat on the front lawn, I put on the song Believe by Josh Groban as a method of coping. To this day it is the song that reminds me of my uncle and everything he represented. As I listen to it now, I am transported back 4 years...4 years ago when things were different...when we were all a little younger, a little more naive, a little less weathered. Time can't heal all but it does help. We will always miss him. He will no longer be the head of our table at family holidays and sharing in special conversations with the cousins but he's always with us. Uncle Rob, wherever you are...we love you so much and are so proud of how hard you fought. Our greatest comfort is that you are no longer in pain. We hope that wherever you are you will always look down on us and be proud of the work we are doing. Love forever and ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment