Monday, December 13, 2010

Changing Locations, Changing Personalities

I'm like the army. Only the opposite. Instead of getting more done before 7 am, I get more things done between 10 pm and 3 am than most people do all day. Being home doesn't exactly support or dissuade me from my nocturnal tendencies. No one's awake past 11 so I get time alone but I'm always surprising someone with how late I stay up and how staying in bed until noon is perfectly natural.
Coming home is always an interesting sensation. It's like being a whole different person. At school, I'm "the stage manager". I'm controlling, sweet, organized, non-dater, conservative dresser, theatre crazy, intelligent, a good friend, and, generally, successful. That's how I'm known. I've shaped an identity around that. But it's interesting how personalities change based on who you are talking to, how well you know the person, how you have previously interacted, and how much you want to impress them. Since going awake to college I've become more outgoing, more sarcastic, more "vulgar" (though definitely levels below most of my peers), most feisty, and more opinionated. I've developed a certain banter and rhythm at school that is difficult to conceal when I'm at home. Although for the most part I'm still the sweet innocent girl my parents sent off two years ago, my personality has grown stronger. I've also noticed that the way I interact with my old friends or even people I knew vaguely in high school has changed. I feel more assertive with those I knew less well as well as more engaging with those to which I am still close. It's startling when I actually take notice to it. I've grown so accustomed with a certain way of conversing with others that I'm occasionally thrown off guard when I act differently towards some people. Just goes to show that you learn a lot more than the classic texts and higher math when you go off to college.

No comments:

Post a Comment