Thursday, January 13, 2011

Change Can be Good

Number 1, I've never had someone like my status so much as when I posted that I officially have a major. Thanks everyone for your support, I'm glad I have a real major now too!

Jan Term has made me lazy. That saying about getting more done when you have less free time? SO true. I almost have too much free time yet not enough at the same time. Competition in a month? AH

Your random advice for the night? Topic: Words

Words are important. They're our direct connection and communication between people. It's hard to recognize how much your words can affect a person. What you may think of a casual statement could influence a person's philosophy. One example of this I take from my sophomore year of high school. It's a tradition for the cast and crew to circle up before every show. It's a way for us to pump up the energy and generally bond before we get out there and do our stuff. The closing circle for every show is always a bit sad but especially the spring show. I also happened to be extremely close to the class of 2006 (anna was in this class--anyone surprised?). The seniors are allowed to make a closing night speech and everyone tends to cry during the spring show. The seniors happened to be very eloquent and mature women but something that Caitlin Harris has stuck with me every since. "When you apply to Catalina, they tell you the two best things about the place are the friends you make and the theatre. But what they don't tell you is about the friends you make through theatre". She had no way of knowing it at the time but that had a profound impact on me. I even used it as one of my senior quotes and have it on my wall. It was a special moment I'm not likely to forget.

I also have a tendency of keeping and displaying cards that mean something to me. I currently have a card on my bookshelf from Anna that reads "I love you. Never forget that okay? I'm glad I get to watch you grow up". One of my greatest pleasures in life is to watch girls grow up so to know that she thinks the same of me is a very nice thought. And looking at the card is my daily reminder that I feel secure and loved and no matter what will always be supported.

I'm lucky that way--people in my life have such a wonderful influence on me that I feel stronger by knowing them

No comments:

Post a Comment