Saturday, October 17, 2009

Stage Management

Theatre is my life. I pride myself on the fact that I love and appreciate this special art form and I feel honored to work such an inspiring environment. I found my passion for stage management 3 years ago and I haven't looked back since. I'm not perfect. I am still learning. But I truly love my job. I have good days and I have bad days. I still get upset when I get emails from Michael telling me that I forgot to put something away at night because I know that I know better or Linda tells me that I missed something and I still get really excited when everything goes well. However, I don't purely define my successes on whether or not the theater looks perfect, emails are sent to the right people at the right time, or that rehearsals run exactly on time. My real success is in the trust I receive from the actors. If I know that they know that they can come to me with anything, can trust me to keep their lives running smoothly, can rely on me when they are having trouble, and can consider me a friend as well as their stage manager, then I know I've done my job right. It's not always about looking perfect. My relationships with actors and technicians are what keeps me going when those bad days pop up and how I feel useful when bad days happen to them. If I am nothing but a person that they can trust, then all of this is worth it. It won't matter if I screwed up one night or even if I never hit broadway. Knowing that I've been blessed to work with so many wonderful people and being a source of stability for them is all I really need.

No comments:

Post a Comment