Saturday, March 5, 2011

Time to Say Goodbye

Dear Angels,

This process brought me more than I ever though it could. It's hard to believe I almost walked away from this opportunity but fate led me to this project and I never looked back.

From day one, I knew this was going to be special. There are no other words to use besides that...special. As a company we bonded. We were introduced to four new friends and reaffirmed relationships with 8 others. We walked together...nothing could separate us. We had our challenges, we had our difficult moments but we were strong together. As soon as I heard "end of the world" play while Prior and Louis danced, I knew this wasn't going to be just another show you could run and run into the ground and get bored. Every night was a challenge.

What a lucky team we were blessed with. Reid, Michael, Linda, Debbie, Matthew, Ted, BJ, Robert...I couldn't imagine a more dynamic group to support us artistically. Their ideas resonated with us and they literally helped us fly. They were there every step of the way.

Having my best friend as my co-stage manager was a unique blessing in itself. Working with someone who knows you so well (and vice versa) makes the job almost seamless. Together, we form one dynamite unit. And that's something that can never be replicated.

Having the opportunities we did in attending the ALRP benefit, meeting Tony Kushner, and meeting Lori Holt...those are unique to us and our show. We are so fortunate for being able to do that as a company.

The first time our Angel flew...it was magical. She was glowing. Between the powerful sound cues and dynamic lighting, we couldn't lose with that moment. Everyone's heart raced as we waited for the wall to fall and soared as soon as she spoke her lines.

Performing for the SMC community with standing ovations every night was incredible. You never know how incredible your show is until you get that opening night audience responding with such open arms. We were on top of the world; we thought nothing could top it.

ACTF chose us to perform in Region 7. Suddenly, we had a whole new adventure to conquer. We were nervous, we were excited..and we were scared. Would we be able to pull it off? It had its challenges. Our beautiful Angel broke her foot. We had some crew changes. And we had to get the show back into our bodies. It took some adjustment and some frustration but we got there...we came back bigger and better than before.

Humboldt...I will never forget Humboldt. All of us together, hanging out all the time. Teching, performing, and striking all within 18 hours--who ever thought we could pull it off? Everyone was amazing and just moved as a cohesive unit.

Once again, when our Angel flew...we couldn't control our emotions. The audience was on its feet as soon as that wall hit the ground and we were sobbing, knowing this feeling was the highlight of our career at the moment. We were so incredibly proud of what we had just accomplished.

So now, here I am to say goodbye. And thank you. Never in my 6 year career as a theatre technician have I felt such an emotional connection to a play or to a company. It makes the goodbye that much harder to say but I know these memories will never be far away. I am incredibly grateful for everything I have learned, everything I was taught, everything I experienced, and everyone I was with. My life is forever changed and I'm so glad for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment